Combining the advantages of studio flash and plug-on flash units
What was missing up until now was a studio flash unit with the optimal combination of more user friendly albeit more versatile functionality, low weight and high output with greater flexibility and stability at the same time and all of that at a fair starting price, which both beginners and professional photographers can afford.
In addition, both studio flash units and softboxes, beauty dishes, etc. should not take up so much room since not every ambitious amateur photographer has a studio at his/her disposal. And as we love challenges, we set ourselves this one and then mastered it. We want to fulfil three requirements of modern photographers with the rechargeable-battery-operated studio flash units of the HS Freeze series.
The world is your studio
Freeze the moment
Beat the sun
The rechargeable battery lasts longer than the camera battery (HS Freeze 4 and 6 up to 500 flash bursts at maximum output)
Due to the rechargeable battery and radio receiver, it can be mounted and operated completely wirelessly
A light deadweight of a maximum of 3.022 kilos (HS Freeze 6 with rechargeable battery)
Up to 1/19,000 second flash duration
Crystal clear, detailed splash photography
Only possible in a dark environment
Maximum aperture in daylight and flashing in the sun
400 & 600 Ws for every indoor and outdoor shoot
HSS for extremely fast shutter speeds without a loss of output
HS Freeze studio flash units – battery-operated portable devices for indoor and outdoor use
Rollei has the solution: the HS Freeze 4 (400 Ws) and the HS Freeze 6 (600 Ws) studio flash units with integrated radio receivers, which are both suitable for indoor use in the studio, as well as for dynamic, action-packed outdoor use. As so-called battery-operated portable devices, the studio flash units of the HS Freeze series transcend the boundary between flash output and flexibility. They are the optimal hybrid of compactness, output and functionality –and of a studio flash unit and a flash appliance. The assembly of lamp tripods, softboxes, reflectors and studio flash units from Rollei, which is independent of the mains, is accomplished in a few minutes due to smart functionality, battery operation and a Bowens S-type bayonet. The flash output can be separately regulated at any time by radio control and group and channel assignment without adjusting the settings manually per conductor on the studio flash units that are often installed at a great height. Also a change of the light shapers is accomplished in a few seconds due to the S-type bayonet connection. In addition, the connection is impressive due to its high degree of compatibility with accessories from various manufacturers.
In addition a characteristic that the HS Freeze battery-operated studio flash units have in common is that their deadweight is extremely light (HS Freeze 4: 2.3 kilos including the rechargeable battery/HS Freeze 6: 3.022 kilos including the rechargeable battery), they don’t require a mains connection for their power supply or for flash control and thus don’t need any cables or generators and nevertheless achieve an enormously high output and brightnessindependently of the studio power supply. The HS Freeze 6 reaches a flash output of 600 Ws and the HS Freeze 4 still has an output of 400 Ws, which can be regulated by means of radio transmitters, directly on the LCD display or primarily via the app in 1/10 or 1/1 increments.
The rechargeable battery time at maximum power (control range of 9 aperture stops) is sufficient for up to 500 flash bursts. In the usual range of application, which is precisely adjustable either in f 0.1 or f 1.0 increments, the rechargeable battery thus lasts for any shoot without a problem and is enough for 1,000 bursts and more. And if not, it can be recharged by means of your car charger (available only for Freeze 6).
The large, subtly definable range of control of 9 aperture stops is an argument for itself in any case. It makes sufficient reserves possible for flashing in sunlight or with a large depth of field, and also simplifies working with a full aperture and high sensitivity.
In addition, both of Rollei’s high-performance flash units have both high speed sync (HSS/shutter speeds and flash duration of up to 1/8,000 of a second) and freeze mode (flash duration of up to 1/19,000 of a second) to freeze movements e.g. of water drops, as well as Easy Cap, for very easy release of products via mask in Photoshop and the artistic delay capture mode. Further extras are automatic calibration by the camera (TTL/through the lens) based on lighting conditions and synchronisation on the 1st or 2nd shutter. Manual flash operation is also an option. Owing to TTL you can adapt the studio flash units fast to changed lighting conditions as the camera emits the amount of light that it needs. Then additional exposure compensation can be done via radio transmitters. The flash charging time amounts to approx. 1.7 seconds when the flash output is high.
In addition HS Freeze 6 and HS Freeze 4 can be combined with one another ideally, e.g. as frontal flash and rear illumination. You can operate up to 15 channels and 10 groups due to the remote control of the integrated radio receivers via a radio transmitter, which you can purchase for Nikon, Fuji, Canon und Sony cameras or as a universal radio transmitter. Thus, you can assign your flash devices to individual groups and control them purposefully, in order to adjust rear flash lighting and frontal flashes separately from each other, for instance, without operating the studio flash units that are already installed on the lamp tripods individually on the display, e.g. in order to adjust only the key light during a four-point lighting setup. Control by means of the radio transmitter, and direct adjustment by means of the illuminated LCD displays that are built into the flash devices are intuitive and clear. With the Rollei App for Studio Flash Units we are taking it one step further. By means of this app as well you can adjust all of the settings and also create profiles for different photographers, photography modes or lighting situations. The settings on the LCD display are overwritten by the radio transmitter, whereas the app overwrites the settings of the radio transmitter. Anyone, who still remembers controlling units with the old symmetrical generators, knows just how this simplifies matters. Likewise, as many studio flash units as desired can be combined, whereas often only one to four flash heads can be connected to many generators. In addition radio control functions reliably at a distance of up to 300 metres.
The studio flash unit can be triggered in different ways. The HS Freeze studio flash units can be triggered via infrared (IR slave function), and via the light of the internal camera flash or plug-on flash unit. They can also be triggered via the sync cable provided (only with the HS Freeze 6). By means of a radio trigger, the flash can be released reliably without cables and regardless of the spatial and lighting conditions. In addition, the compatibility of the studio flash units with accessories is just as versatile in its arrangement as their release is. The accessories can be attached flexibly, quickly and firmly due to the popular Bowens connection (S-type bayonet). As it constitutes one of the most prevalent connections, it may also be possible to combine existing studio flash accessories with our HS Freeze series. The LED modelling light facilitates precise positioning of the studio flash unit, even in the case of difficult subjects. Furthermore, the LED lighting guarantees a long life span and low heat build-up.
Advantages of HS Freeze studio flash units at a glance:
- Use in the studio and in outdoor areas
- Rechargeable-battery-operated studio flash has no need for the mains supply
- Lightweight for optimal, simple transport
- Flash charging time under 2 seconds with up to 600 watt seconds
- Compatible with continuous shooting function
- High performance rechargeable battery for up to 500 flash burstsat maximum output
- Large control range (9 aperture stops in f 0.1 or f 1.0 increments)
- TTL mode simplifies the exposure measurement and the flash operation via automatic mode enormously. Manual adjustment is also possible if desired
- Further operating modes: Easy Cap, delay and manual
- HSS & freeze mode for flash durations between 1/800 to 1/19,000 seconds for freezing movements (e.g. splash photography). HSS mode is suitable also for flashing in sunlight.
- Synchronisation on the 1st or 2nd shutter curtain is an option.
- Remote control via an integrated radio receiver in the studio flash unit and a radio transmitter with app support via Bluetooth are also possibilities (App download). Different settings and setups can be configured, e.g. the area of application or shooting modes can be arranged.
- Bowens S-type bayonet connection for a high degree of compatibility with studio flash accessories from different manufacturers. Thus, you can continue to use your already existing equipment with a Bowens connection.
- Simple, stable attachment of light shapers / softboxes and reflectors via an S-type bayonet
- Steady, neutral colour temperature, even in the low range of control without the typical yellow tint (5,500 Kelvin +/- 150K in normal mode / 5,500 Kelvin +/- 800K in freeze mode)
- Space-saving studio flash accessories: Softboxes can be folded up like pop-up tents to a fraction of their size.
- Compatible lamp tripods with a maximum working height of up to 285 cm: Pneumatic suspension for shock absorption ensures stability and safety while the height is being adjusted.
- Rollei studio flash unit in a set, e.g. as HS Freeze 4 set or HS Freeze 6 set - complete setup for the studio or outdoors in various accessory combinations.
- The 15-watt (HS Freeze 4) or 20-watt (HS Freeze 6) LED modelling light can be used for background lighting as well as for alignment of the studio flash. Thus, you see where shadows fall and where the flash should hit the object in order to obtain the desired effect. Particularly practical when there is little ambient light.
- Triggered via sync cable, IR slave function or remote release /radio transmitter